Young People’s Chorus of New York City brings its innovative, nationally recognized music education and choral performance program to children throughout the city in partnership with New York City schools.
What do choristers learn?
All choristers will learn the fundamentals of music and choral performance through a standards-based curriculum that includes:
- Joy from artistic expression and achievement
- Healthy vocal technique
- Music literacy and aural skills
- Movement and choreography
- Teamwork and leadership skills
- Our curriculum is carefully curated by YPC’s artistic team each year to represent New York City’s diverse student population both in terms of repertoire and learning styles
How is the chorus structured?
Led by Young People’s Chorus of New York City’s trained conductors and professional accompanists, children will experience the joy of singing while exploring music that spans New York City’s many cultures.
- 8, 12, or 16 week residencies are available
- Everyone in selected grades is eligible to participate
- YPC subsidizes the majority of the cost of the program and will work within your school’s budget
- This year’s program will culminate in June with a concert in one of New York City’s most prestigious professional performance spaces
How will the chorus enrich your community?
- Conductors work closely with teachers and school administration to integrate the YPC chorus into the fabric of the school and surrounding community
- Choristers are inspired to truly see themselves as valued young artists, connected to other young people from across New York City through their art
- Academic and social emotional skills are supported through the study of music and the pursuit of artistic goals
- Global understanding is enhanced by YPC’s unique canon of repertoire
If you’d like to be a YPC school partner, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021-2022 School Partners
PS 83 – Luis Muñoz Rivera School Partner Since 2022
Rochdale Early Academy
Charter School Partner Since 2019
PS 151 Mary D. Carter School
Partner Since 2019